Workshops

Monday, February 23, 2009

Recharging My Batteries



On Sunday, I spent the day at the Grotto in Portland, participating in an all-day Touch-Drawing retreat. Deborah Koff-Chapin is the founder of the Center for Touch Drawing and she led our retreat. It was an amazing day - the workshop was renewing and the setting was peaceful and energizing. First, the Grotto. If you've never been, I recommend visiting. It is located in NE Portland near 82nd and Sandy Blvd. It's full title is The National Sanctuary of Our Sorrowful Mother, and it is described as a 62-acre Catholic shrine and botanical garden. It was beautiful, even in winter. Here are some photographs of the grounds:






Okay, now for the Touch Drawing part of my day! Here is the description Susan uses on her website to describe the process:

Touch Drawing is a simple yet profound process where the fingers take the place of pen or brush. Paper is placed over a freshly painted surface. Wherever it is touched, an imprint is made on the back side. Impulses from within take form on paper through the movement of the fingertips on the page. A multitude of drawings can be created in one session, each a stepping stone to the next; guiding progressively deeper into the self.


When I registered for the day, it was with the intention of learning more about the technique involved, yet after I arrived and everyone began sharing what brought them to the retreat, I realized I was there for me - for me to release, explore, and renew. Here are a few pages from the dozens I created.











Ahhhh . . . .

7 comments:

Journal Swag said...

I have always wanted to try this! Was it just wonderful? Seems like it from looking at your pics! Hurray for you! Would you do it again?

Sheila
from Mt.Angel, OR

Anonymous said...

Beautiful work you've done Dayna! Love the hearts in a few of the paintings.

One class I'm going to take after April.

The Grotto looks very peaceful.

Anonymous said...

Dayna, It was a sublime place and day for me, too. So glad you joined us. And thank you so much for posting your experience and your drawings. I see you know Bridget Benton - She came to the Touch Drawing Gathering last year ( or was it the year before? They tend to merge after 13 Gatherings!) She is great. Send my love if you see her. And keep posting your drawings. It would be great to see you on the TD community at http://touchdrawing.ning.com .
Blessings, Deborah

Destree said...

The Grotto is one of my favorite places. It is so peaceful...your drawings are amazing, and your experience sounds so refreshing. Good for you Dayna.

gl. said...

i gotta know: why is that monk showing his shin? :)

Dayna Collins said...

Wow, Gretchin, you are so observant! I hadn't even noticed that he was showing a bit of let, so I don't know why.

Dayna Collins said...
This comment has been removed by the author.