Workshops

Thursday, September 4, 2008

Hand Bound Journal-Making Class


Yikes Almighty! I led a journal-making workshop on Tuesday night and it went over by almost an hour! I had never done this class in one sitting and I won’t do it this away in the future. But we trudged on through the evening and everyone got their journals constructed, although everyone was a bit bleary-eyed when 10:00 pm rolled around! Let me back up a bit . . . .

Earlier in the year I took an 8-week journaling class from Diane at Innerstandings in Portland, entitled “Phenomenal Women’s Group.” During the first two sessions, we each made a hand-bound journal. Then for the remainder of the six sessions, we experimented and played in our journals with Diane leading us through various artistic techniques and highlighting a visual journal artist each week. I loved the process so much, that I offered a similar class in Salem in the spring. I incorporated some of the elements from my class with Diane, as well as various ideas from other visual journaling classes I have taken over the past couple of years. I blogged about this class back in May.

Recently, a couple of my friends had been asking me to offer the visual journaling class again. Since I’m not offering the Artist’s Way this fall as I usually do, I decided I would 1) offer my visual journaling class, 2) combine the two sessions where we make the journal into one 4-hour session, and 3) hold it at Stampin’ Cat Studio, which has a lovely, big, bright work space at the rear of the store. Lisa, the owner of Stampin’ Cat Studio, and I, both promoted the initial class, the one where a journal would be made, and wonderfully the class filled. Well, it actually over filled because the limit was 8, but we managed to register 10. Not wanting to turn anyone away, we went forward with 10. Such a great problem to have. However, with such a big group, the whole process took longer than I anticipated and by the time we got to the binding of the journals, everyone was glassy-eyed and tired (including me!). Amazingly, the women hung in there and with great enthusiasm they miraculously managed to follow my directions and complete their journals. They did not have time to attach their beads and charms, but they all took a handful of goodies and promised they would add them once they got home (and got some sleep).

Here is the studio space all set up and ready to receive the artists:



And here are a few of the beautiful finished journals (sans beads and charms):






When I got home on Tuesday night, around 11:00 pm, I was bone tired and feeling discouraged because I had gone so much over the stated class time. But when I got up the next morning, one of the participants (and a friend), had sent me an e-mail:

It's the morning after the Visual Journaling class and as I sit here looking at my beautiful journal (still needing final touches of beads, etc..) I'm so appreciative for your willingness to be the creative guru in Salem. You may not be the only creative guru, but you have certainly found your way to making a difference for many of us in the Salem community.

Thanks for appearing in my life when I needed to explore my creative energy...you are a jewel!

With gratitude!
S.

Creative guru? I like that! S’s words were the balm I needed. I felt revitalized and upon reflection, believe that the women all had a great time. I sure did. But next time, we’ll break the journal-making portion of the class into two sessions . . . .




Next up, a month of Tuesdays. For the rest of the month, I’ll be teaching and facilitating a series of two-hour visual journaling workshops. All will be held at Stampin’ Cat Studio from 6:00-8:00 pm. For more information on these visual journaling classes, check out my website.




1 comment:

Diana M. Raab said...

Wow! What a wonderful idea to make journals!

As a journaling advocate I can see what a wonderful thing that is!

To understand the wonderful long-term benefits of journaling, check out my book REGINA'S CLOSET: FINDING MY GRANDMOTHER'S SECRET JOURNAL!

Also, visit my blog -- i talk a lot about journaling!
www,dianaraab.wordpress.com.

Happy writing!
Diana