Workshops

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Recovering a Sense of Abundance: The Artist's Way Week Six


Well, two of our women were sick last night, but we soldiered on without them. For our warm-up, I used some cards from the Soul Card deck created by Deborah Koff-Chapin, founder of the Center for Touch Drawing. We each chose a card and then did body movement that corresponded with the imagery on the card. It was energetic and soothing at the same time.


For our creative project, we experimented with blind contour drawing, a tool to help the eye to see without the interference of the mind (which means for this type of drawing, the person does not look at their paper at all!). The women were leary at first, then jumped into the process without reservation.

I first learned of this technique from Gretchin Lair, of Scarlet Star Studios in Portland. For last night's session, the ladies drew an art mannequin, a self-portrait, and then each other. When they were drawing each other, they could hardly stop laughing - we all had such fun!






Speaking of Gretchin, I received this pair of flaming heart socks from Gretchin and Sven when they visited me on the boat this summer. As the ladies were drawing, I was having fun snapping photos of my feet and legs. For those of you who know me, you know that flaming hearts are sort of my personal logo!


4 comments:

Destree said...

Cute Sox!

Kim Palmer said...

Now it looks like you all had lots of fun, love those socks by the way.
I wondered if you might like to be a part of a simple mail art exchange, nothing elaboarate, email me if you're interested.

Carol Wiebe said...

I really like the exercises you share, including this one. Having such hilarious results is great for loosening up.

And those cards . . . I MUST get some! I love Deborah's work, and I get goosebumps just seeing them.

gl. said...

yay! your feet look great in those socks!