Workshops

Friday, October 31, 2008

Watery Dreamland


Venezia. Venice. How to describe it: It is otherworldly, beautiful, strange, disintegrating, unique, and ethereal. Howard adds that it was spooky, sinister, and breathtaking. Rick describes it as a “car-free urban wonderland of a hundred islands – laced together by 400 bridges and 2,000 alleys – survives on the artificial respirator of tourism.” He goes on to say that Venice is a “medieval cookie jar, and nobody’s looking.”

Rick suggests getting lost in the city, to just wander. And that is what we did on Friday. First, we took a vaporetti, one of Venice’s public water buses, to the San Marco stop. This excursion took us on the Grand Canal and under the Rialto Bridge (constructed in 1588, yes, 1 -5 -8 -8).






It was raining, so Piazza San Marco, or St. Mark’s Square, had flooded ever so slightly. Rick had warned that this happens, and happens in this square because it is the lowest spot in town. It is hilarious because walkways are set up using wooden benches, people vying to go both ways. So this was how we entered St. Mark’s Church, via a wooden bench.





The Basilica was a beaut, full of massive amounts of mosaics. We weren’t allowed to take photos inside, but we managed to snap a few. And this first photo is the entry - submerged under about four inches of water.





And, we met two very nice young men from Texas while at St. Mark’s. We were inside looking at reliquaries and one of the guys sort of leaned over our shoulders and said, “So, do you know what we’re lookin’ at here?” We started chatting with him and his buddy (a devout Rick Steves' disciple), and it was fun because they reminded us of what it was probably like for Scott and his friend when they travelled to Europe a few years back. And Scott, I found the ceramic mask you bought for me as a gift when you were here! Thanks . . .

After our time at the Basilica, and the Basilica’s Museum, and after a bite to eat, both Howard and I agreed that we were not only arted out, but we were also duomoed, cathedraled, churched, castled, villaed, and basilicaed out. We took Rick’s advice and allowed ourselves to get lost in the city. We’d turn left, then right, go down an alley, then over a bridge, never having a clue where we were. If we saw a sign for San Marco or the Rialto Bridge, we went the opposite direction. We wanted to get lost and it was a hoot!







On our warnderings, we wandered into a bookstore. I am standing at the rear of the store, when I turned, there were the books. Read or swim? Ummm . . .




Okay, this has been one of my favorite stops because of an item that is everywhere: MASKS. I love masks and the masks here were beautiful. Howard bought one for me in one of the first mask shops we saw (it’s still my favorite). Here is the shop and here is my mask:





This was another mask shop. Howard liked the sign and the artist!



I thought of a friend of mine, Paul, who also loves masks. Paul, I couldn’t buy you a full-sized mask, but we did buy you a mask magnet, so that will have to do until you get over here for yourself. I’m sure Michele would love to tag along!

Howard adds his comments on the city:

Venezia is amazingly large, very compact and sinking. Building fronts tilt and sag, whole buildings look slightly askew, and interior floors have valleys and ridges. Venezia is a marvel of construction, renovation, determination, and just plain stubbornness. I found myself in awe and at the same time spooked. The streets get narrower as you get away from water. The avenues along the canals are called Fondamenta, which are wide and easy to walk, progressively decreasing in width to microcalle (calle means street). When you are in a microcalle and the dark is approaching it is flat out eerie. It takes very little imagination to conjure up no good coming to pass in these crooked, narrow passageways. Charming, and yet ….

I love boats. Watching a city do business by the influx of goods by boats of all shapes and sizes is amazing. No cars, no bikes, just boats and pedestrians. If the city wouldn’t make me so claustrophobic, I would love to operate a business in this unique environment.



As for the city sinking into the ocean, it may happen.They have been predicting it since the 1700’s, but in looking around there is a lot of renovation and cranes, which indicate investment. Usually that doesn’t happen if the end is in sight. So, Venezia is probably not going to disappear in our lifetimes, but I would suggest to all, that in the words of Goethe, Italian Journey, 1786, “Venice can only be compared to itself.”





4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Right up your Alley!!! You kids are having too much fun - even I'm exhausted. I feel the end coming near and I'm almost ready but reluctant at the same time. I wanna turn another corner, and another. I know there's something there I've never seen before and probably won't have another chance in my lifetime. I've got fancy pink boots and a travel buddy who like me, enjoys the novelty of life in the moment. Sigh.....

I've been busy making this place kitten proof. Large papers stored on the floor under chests of drawers either need another place (but where?), or.... a portfolio for protection. Beading stuff need bigger safer containers. Earlier in the week when I stopped a REALLY looked around, I saw 'alert, alert" everywhere. Kittens grow, and leap, and push things around, 'what will happen if I do this??' I was NOT thinking about kittens when setting up art space. And I have 1 ONE closet!

Talk about a sinking ship, or city. Good thing you two live in Oregon and know how to tolerate the wet. Everything looks great. Even the stolen photos..... so, you did leave a crowned heart somewhere....right? Namaste

Deirdra Doan said...

Wow what a wonderful wonderful trip!!!
I so love Venice!!!!!!!! If you get a chance go to a hardware/paint store and pick up some of the wonderful wall stencils they have there in Italy. I brought back my favorite ones when I was in Venice. Little paint store on a back quiet street...Man I am interested in what your new art is going to look like after this amazing amazing trip.
Blessings,
Deirdra

Dayna Collins said...

Hi Ladies,
Deirdra, thanks for the suggestion to look for stencils. We're heading back into Venice for the day and I'll be looking for a hardware store (we saw a couple yesterday!).

Peshe, yes, this place IS right up my ALLEY. Your capitalization of the word Alley gave me an idea for a photo! And I do need to leave my blazing heart somewhere in this city - but do I have the kahoonies?

gl. said...

oh, if i ever visit italy i think this will be one of my favorite cities! i never would have known if i hadn't see nit through your eyes first. :)