Workshops

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

The Artist's Way Week Two: Recovering a Sense of Safety



I wanted to post about last week's group last week, but we left a day early for a winter wonderland vacation and just returned last night. So I'm going to post about last week before this week's Creative Cluster meets (tonight!). First a word about the six women in my newly formed Creative Cluster: amazing. But it is difficult to limit myself to just one word in describing these ladies who have met only two times, the first two of the 13 weeks they will spend together exploring themselves and reconnecting with their creativity via Julia Cameron's The Artist's Way. In the short time they have been meeting, they have already been willing to be vulnerable, honest, and courageous. Once again, I am in awe of the process and feel humbled to be a witness, or as Julia would say, a "believing mirror."

Last week our creative activity was Touch Drawing, a technique developed by Deborah Koff-Chapin. I first learned about this when I took Bridget Benton's Artmaking as Playful Prayer class in the fall. I was so impressed with the concept, I decided to include it as a creative activity in my Creative Clusters. The process involves blockprinter's ink, a brayer, rice paper, and a smooth glass board. The women inked up their glass board, placed a piece of rice paper smooth side down, and while listening to music, began to move their hands across the paper. Occasionally I would give them prompts, i.e., draw with your eyes closed, with your eyes open, with your non-dominant hand, do a self- portrait . . . . , but basically, they just listened to the music of Steve Gordon's Drum Prayer, and made marks on pieces of paper, one after the other.






Sinatra, my six-toed cat, liked some of the Touch Drawings so much, she snuggled in and posed for a photo.

1 comment:

gl. said...

it's neat to see someone else post about the artist's way every week from a facilitator perspective -- with centerpieces, too! also fun to see exercises from others creep in. :)

hi, sinatra!