Workshops

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Itty Bitty Pretties



I presented at the DIY Lounge for the first time ever last Saturday and it was a very cool experience. The space, which is located at the back of collage (a wonderful and well-stocked art store in case you haven't had the pleasure to visit), is bright and airy with a large workspace. I arrived early and got everything set up for the six ladies who had registered. Only one of the women had taken a class previously at the DIY Lounge, so I felt honored that so many of these women had chosen my class for their first experience. After brief introductions and a fun warm-up exercise (I gave everyone a photograph of a “stranger” and a random page from the dictionary. They had to come up with a name for the person in the photo and then choose a word from their dictionary page that best represented their person; there were some pretty funny names and words chosen for MY relatives!). After that bit of tomfoolery, I gave some instructions and set the women free to work at their own pace. Wow! They enjoyed choosing from my piles of pretty papers, then gluing down photos they had brought, selecting a word from the dictionaries I had on hand, then began the embellishments – charms, beads, metal bits, googly eyes, swirlies, rock shards . . . . I was able to share from my abundance to their tickled delight.


















1 comment:

gl. said...

oh, these look great, dayna! i'm so glad you had a good time at collage. i like your warmup exercise!