Workshops

Saturday, November 19, 2011

Painting With Wax


I got to spend all day Friday playing with colorful wax. I was sicker than a dog, but I had signed up for this all day encaustic workshop a couple of months ago and didn't want to miss it. So armed with cold meds and a very large handkerchief, I made the drive to Deanna's beautiful country home and studio. This was the setting and the view from a couple of windows. It felt luxurious.



My work space. So tidy and full of promise . . . but not tidy for long! Here are before and after shots.



I just love paint pots! I even love the drips, or as Deanna says: Drippity, drip drip.





A word about Deanna. She is everything I want in a teacher: thorough, generous, and patient. She gave us time to create, but was always available if we needed or wanted help. She was encouraging, but not afraid to challenge us. I recommend you take one of her classes if you live in the area.






By the end of the day, I had completed two little encaustics. I was quite pleased with myself and the results!







Toward the end of the day with a little time to spare, I pulled out an unfinished encaustic I had started in Serena Barton's class in the fall. I didn't get a before photo of what I was working on, but here's a link to the class I took with Serena and here is how the piece looked at the end of the day yesterday. I already have an idea of what I plan to do with this encaustic, but will save that for another day.



Deanna and I recently did an art trade and I got to see my Curious Elements hanging in her sun room!

2 comments:

lynda Howells said...

wow...even when you are sick you make amazing Art womanxxxx

Debbie said...

Great results! And yes, Deanna is a great teacher! It looks like it was a very fun and productive day!