Workshops

Wednesday, December 19, 2007

The Strong Silent Type: Wordwear

I was one lucky lady to take a class from two of my favorite creative advocates: Gretchin Lair of Scarlet Star Studios and Bridget Benton of Eyes Aflame. Gretchin and Bridget generously shared the techniques they have developed in making Wordwear, jewelry made from little metal dog tags, letter die stamp punches, and embellished with beads and brads. During the workshop, Scarlet Star Studio was a frenzy of tap tap tapping as we got our words punched onto the tags, then learned how to add color with alcohol inks and Rub 'n Buff. I punched out three tags on the day of the workshop.



Today I got to work and made three Christmas gifts for friends (after ruining about six tags that didn't come out right!). I had sent an e-mail to a special group of friends asking them what their favorite or special word is; everyone responded, so now I'm in the process of hammering out necklaces for my select group of friends. Two of my favorite responses? Paratum, a Latin word, and GROK, from Robert Heinlein's sci-fi book, Stranger in a Strange Land. My Mom is sure going to be surprised when she receives a necklace with the word GROK emblazoned across the tag!




2 comments:

gl. said...

wow, dayna! ythat's some lovely lettering. you've got your technique down!

Bridget said...

Great photos! And I love the idea of a necklace that says "GROK" - what a wonderful gift idea!