Workshops

Monday, August 4, 2008

Deja Vu


I just returned from a week in Astoria, one of my very favorite places to visit. The first leg involved my sister and parents, the second good friends, and finally, grandkids. I’ll spare you the details of everything I did, but I will highlight a couple of things. First, I made the trip to spend time with my good friend and art buddy, Vicki. Vicki broke her ankle about six weeks ago and has six weeks to go before she will be mobile. As you can imagine, the couch gets mighty small if that is where you are living 24/7. So, off I went to offer moral support, do a little cleaning, and a lot of art! We spent two whole days (and nights) doing nothing but working in our visual journals: Vicki on her couch, and me in her husband’s leather recliner. We had all of our necessary tools within arm's reach and we had a hoot gluing and painting and sharing our clever ideas. Oh, and it doesn’t hurt that their 100-year old house sits on the side of a hill overlooking the mouth of the Columbia River.

Here we are busily “playing”:



Vicki did "crutch it" one afternoon for lunch and lattes to one of their favorite Astoria haunts, Coffee Girl, located at the historic Pier 39:



Here we are waiting for our basil and tomato grilled cheese sandwiches:



For those of you who know me, you know I have to get my "junk" fix wherever I go, so I did manage to sneak in a visit to one of my favorite “junk” stores in Astoria (shhhh, it’s a secret, nah, I’ll share): Déjà vu Thrift Store (benefiting the Women’s Resource Center). I wasn’t disappointed with what I found:



















Oh, and I can't ignore that Vicki's husband (and good friend, as well - since high school for Pete's sake) Dave, was there offering all kinds of support (food prep, laundry, dish duty), and wheel chair pusher extraordinaire!

No comments: